"For this child I prayed, and the Lord has granted me my petition which I asked of Him." 1 Samuel 1:27 (NKJV)


Festival near Namdaemun Market in Seoul, South Korea, taken during our first trip in 2008

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Adjusting to our New "Normal"

HJ has been home for almost 3 weeks, and each day we see more and more of the happy little guy we first met in Korea. The first few days we saw a lot of this:

Poor HJ just could not stay awake. The jet lag was rough on him. He slept a lot on the floor in our living room. Visitors would come, and he would sleep the whole time! He even slept through the first few nights in his crib, which surprised us. We arrived home on Thursday afternoon, and the following Saturday was our town's annual parade and festival. I decided to take the boys, and HJ fell asleep sucking on an apple slice during the parade!



The first week, I kept thinking, "This can't be that easy." Having 2 kids is way easier than I had expected. The boys played together well, both slept through the night, seemed happy, etc.
It was nothing like our first week home with DW, who cried and cried and wouldn't eat. I even took the boys out by myself to the bank, the grocery store, the park, etc, and it was easier than I thought. The first full week home was a breeze. Here are some really cute pictures of them:


I love these boys!!!

Tim and I were shocked at how easy HJ was transitioning, enough where I thought, "Hmm...I could easily add a third child." Then...it happened. Teething and grieving all at the same time. OH MY! HJ was fussy all day on Saturday, after we had been home a week. He was feverish, whiny, and drooly. I loaded him full of teething tablets and Tylenol as often as I could. That night, he was up every hour crying for "umma" (his foster mom) and obviously in pain from teething. The next few days he was equally as grumpy and sad, and the next few nights, he awoke every few hours grieving and in pain. It was so sad, and there was nothing we could do to soothe him. We would try holding him, and he would want down. We would put him down, and he would want to be held. It was a very long 3 - 5 days. Week 2 was as hard as week 1 was easy. Ugh. We didn't go hardly anywhere during Week 2, which was hard on me because I'm not good at just sitting in the house all day long with whiny children. PBS Kids programming became my best friend, especially to keep DW occupied while I dealt with HJ's teething and grieving. Things seemed to turn around toward the end of Week 2, and HJ has been smiling a lot more, wanting hugs from us, and is starting to get back to his normal happy self. We were even able to take him to church last Sunday and show him off to all of our friends and family who had prayed so much for him. Here is one of our first family of 4 pictures, taken at church:


Tim and I love our "new normal." There is definitely a lot more laundry and cleaning up of messes with 2 little boys, but there is also twice the fun!

1 comment: